more leather journals

I've been busy increasing the shop's inventory, since the holidays depleted most of my stock. It's taking a while but it's getting there. January has already seen quite a few snow days, which are perfect for getting caught up!

Folks have asked me how long it takes to make one journal. To be honest, I've never really made just one journal at a time. I cut enough leather for about 6-10 journals, hand tear enough paper for them, and then prep them all for binding (punching holes in the leather, piercing the paper, getting out the thread). Only then do I sit and bind them, one after the other. It may not be how a lot of binders work, but it's a process that I find works perfectly for me. So why mess with a good thing? ;)

I'm really loving the new lightbox hubby made me, as it takes a lot of time off of editing photos. Before I would really have to adjust the brightness and contrast, and now, little if anything needs to be done. lighting is concerned. Here are a few new journals I made yesterday, with photos taken in the lightbox.


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
— Mark Twain



"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether
that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show."

—David Copperfield (1850), Charles Dickens



"For my part I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
―Vincent Van Gogh



“To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palms of your hand, and eternity in an hour.”

— Auguries of Innocence (1863), William Blake

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! The photos are turning out lovely. =)
    I used to have a pen exactly like that. I even made my own ink which I would pour into an old ink bottle. That was fun. Just seeing that pen reminded me of those days!
    I love your journals, they are awesome! I always look forward to seeing your creations.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely journals and beautiful pictures !
    (saw your link on My Casa Bella's blog )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, gals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, your journals are so lovely. And the photos are stellar. Would it be possible for you to write a bit about the lightbox that your husband made for you, and share photos? Thanks so much in advance.

    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clara,

    I posted about it a couple posts back: http://lapaperie.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/lightbox-yay

    But for more detailed instructions just google "DIY lightbox". There are hundreds of sites that show you how to make one yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your beautiful journals! GREAT WORK!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Donna! :)
    I'm enjoying your blog! Your recipes look mouth-watering! (I've added a link to your blog in my "other artisans" blogroll. Hope you don't mind!)

    ReplyDelete